Brownie was one of 2 Beanies released before the Original 9 were announced in 1993. Brownie's name later changed to Cubbie. The only way to tell the difference between Brownie and Cubbie is the swing tag. Without the name Brownie on the swing tag, there is no way to tell the difference between a 1st generation Brownie and a 1st generation Cubbie.
Counterfeit versions of Brownie exist. Check for the following common indicators before purchasing this Beanie Baby:
1. The counterfeit has a medium brown color instead of the golden tan color on the authentic version.
2. The counterfeit version has a darker nose than the authentic version.
3. The counterfeit version has low-quality, coarse fabric.
4. An authentic Brownie can only have a 1st generation swing tag. The counterfeit has a 2nd generation swing tag.
5. Authentic Brownie swing and tush tags should say hand made in "Korea". Some of the counterfeits say hand made in "China"
6. Counterfeit tush tag has two periods after TY INC, instead of a period and a comma.